Butter Smoked Turkey Breast
Perfect for a smaller holiday gathering or Sunday dinner, this Butter Smoked Turkey Breast is a delicious and convenient alternative to cooking an entire turkey.
Basted in butter and fresh herbs right on the grill, the tender meat is infused with wood-fired flavor with a delicious buttery and crisp outer skin.
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 stick Unsalted Softened Butter
- 6 smashed Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tbsp Louisiana Grills Champion Chicken Seasoning
- 4 Rosemary, Springs
- 6 sprigs Thyme
- 1 7-lb. Bone-in Turkey Breast
Smoked Turkey Breast Rub
After rubbing butter on the inside and outside of the turkey breast, season the inside cavity and outside of turkey breast with Louisiana Grills Champion Chicken Rub, salt and pepper.
How Long to Smoke a Turkey Breast
A 7lb bone-in turkey breast smoked at 225°F should take about 2.5 hours to reach a safe 160°F internal temperature.
Best Wood Pellets for Smoking Turkey
We recommend using New England Apple Hardwood Pellets with this recipe.
- Fire up your Louisiana Grills pellet grill and preheat to 225° F. If using a gas or charcoal grill, set heat to low.
- Rinse and pat turkey dry using paper towels. Using your fingers, loosen the skin of the turkey breast and rub butter underneath, making sure to get into all crevices. Rub butter over the outside of the skin, coating evenly.
- Season the inside cavity and outside of turkey breast with Champion Chicken, salt and pepper. Place turkey in cast iron skillet and distribute the rosemary sprigs, thyme sprigs, and garlic then transfer to pre-heated grill.
- Smoke the turkey breast for 2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 150°F.
- Raise the grill temperature to 425°F. Baste the top side with butter and pan juices and rotate the breast over.
- Grill turkey for 10 minutes on one side (or until the skin has a slightly crusty/golden exterior), then baste the other side with butter and pan juices and rotate again. Grill an additional 10 minutes (or when the skin reaches your preferred caramelization). The turkey breast is safe to remove once it reaches 160°F internal temperature.
- Remove turkey from grill and transfer to a carving board. Let rest 15 minutes before carving and serving.
Recipe and photo from Louisiana Grills.