Cook the juiciest burgers with 80/20 beef. Then top the perfect burger with this avocado and apple-wood-smoked bacon salsa with melted Havarti cheese – we think it’s the best burger we’ve ever tasted.
- 2 pounds 80/20 ground beef
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 poppy seed buns
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 slices Havarti (or your favorite!) cheese
- 4 leaves butter lettuce (Boston or Bibb)
Set the Big Green EGG (or other grill) for direct cooking (without the convEGGtor) at 600°F/316°C. Use a Cast Iron Grid to leave beautiful sear marks.
Form the meat into 4 (8-ounce) patties about 1 inch thick. Season with the granulated garlic, salt and pepper and set aside. Cut the buns in half horizontally and brush the inside of each half with butter.
Place the hamburgers on the cooking grid, close the lid of the EGG, and cook for 3 minutes per side, for medium-rare. Top each burger with a slice of cheese, close the lid of the EGG, and cook for 30 seconds longer, until the cheese is melted. Transfer the burgers to a plate and let them rest while you grill the buns, buttered side down, until lightly toasted.
To assemble, place each burger inside a bun and top with a lettuce leaf. Serves 4.
Avocado BLT Salsa Ingredients
- 1 cup diced vine-ripened tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped apple wood-smoked bacon, cooked until crisp (12 to 14 slices)
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup diced avocado
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Avocado BLT Salsa Instructions
To make the salsa, mix the tomatoes, bacon, scallions, avocado, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Place 2 tablespoons of the salsa on top of each burger and serve.
Photo and recipe from Big Green Egg.