Once a year, the world celebrate Earth Day on April 22. This year, more than ever, the focus is on climate change, the environment, and eco-friendly habits. As Earth Day reminds us of this focus, people also turn their minds to water conservation.
Water is a precious resource, and one that is necessary for life. It is also one of the first things that stops people from buying a hot tub. Why? Many people think spas use too much water. That couldn’t be further from the truth when talking about Hot Spring Spas.
In this article, we break it down for you and look at the reality of the best eco-friendly hot tubs.
Hot Tubs Don’t Use That Much Water
Typically speaking, did you know the average person uses about 100 gallons of water each day? How? Showers and every day life activities like doing laundry and washing the dishes help account for it.
Now, did you know that the average large seven-seat hot tub holds around 450 gallons of water?
Now, compare that to the average person’s daily usage, and you’ll find a large hot tub holds about four days worth of water. And that lasts for a long while
Because you are constantly filtering and sanitizing water, you don’t need to replace the water all the time. Some people, though, feel extra guilty about the environment when they do need to drain and refill their spas.
There is a solution, though, and that’s a Hot Spring Spa.
These eco-friendly hot tubs include water care systems to help you conserve more water while enjoying your hot tub.
The Perfect Size Eco-Friendly Spa
First, you need to decide what size hot tub you’re looking for. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What are your needs?
- Are you trying to accommodate a large family or large groups of hot tubbers?
- Or are you looking for something smaller for two?
At Fiesta Pools and Spas, we have a Hot Spring Spa hot tub to fit anyone’s size needs. The most important part of choosing an eco-friendly hot tub is choosing one that works for your family. You want the perfect size so it becomes a part of your overall daily ritual. Everyday made better is the Hot Spring motto!
Here are some other things to consider:
- How will you use your spa? Will you use your hot tub solo or with others? For example, if you live alone and want it for your own relaxation and sore muscle relief, then most of your hot tub use is solo. A two-seat hot tub or three-seat hot tub provides you with the therapeutic benefits of warm water immersion and extra seats for company.
- How many jets are you looking for? You’ll find that different seats offer different jet configurations. If you use your spa to relieve pain or soreness, then you may need to consider extra seats or a lounger to have a full range of hot tub hydrotherapy benefits.
- How big is your family? Four-seat hot tubs are perfect for a family of three, while families of four may want to consider a six-seat model. You might also want a larger hot tub if you regularly entertain, and hot tub soaking is always on the agenda.
- Choosing a hot tub that is the correct size is just one way to enjoy all the benefits of a home spa while being eco-conscious. To take resourcefulness to the next level, choose a spa that’s not only the perfect size, but also energy efficient.
Our Hot Tubs Save Energy
Hot Spring’s top notch hot tubs are designed to reduce energy use and energy costs. They include several energy-efficient features:
- Dedicated circulation pumps that continuously circulate the hot water and use less energy than main pumps. Your spa water remains warm, and it’s filtered by a smaller pump than the one that gives the jets their force.
- A pump shroud that helps facilitate the transfer of heat produced by the pump operating into the water.
- Perimeter insulation to keep the cabinet warm but allow heat from the heater and pump to help warm the water.
- Total foam insulation, layered in different densities, that fills gaps and prevents hot air leaks, which can cool the spa and force the heater to run more often.
- An insulated hot tub cover that prevents heat from escaping from the water and keeps your hot tub warm and ready to use.
Not only does this extra energy efficiency benefit your checkbook, but it benefits the environment.
Keeping your hot tub water warm around the clock uses less energy than heating it up immediately after refilling. This means you use less electricity which is also eco-friendly.
You Can I Extend Water Life
The best eco-friendly hot tubs are simpler to maintain and extend water life. You’ll find that hot tubs with traditional water care systems require draining and refilling a few times a year. But spas like ours with eco-friendly salt water systems extend water life for up to a year.
The FreshWater™ Salt System, available on Hot Spring Spas , is the simplest and most effective hot tub salt water chlorine generator.
It keeps water fresh and sanitary for a full year with normal use before it needs to be drained and refilled.
The easy-to-maintain your FreshWater™ Salt System is integrated right into the hot tub and is titanium cartridge-based.
The FreshWater™ Salt System generates chlorine at a steady rate from salts contained in the cartridge. Each cartridge lasts four months. You can easily replace it directly from your spa’s bar top in seconds.
Simpler water care with the FreshWater™ Salt System means spending less time maintaining your spa and more time enjoying it. The low levels of chlorine will also reduce the level of chemicals and chemical odors in your hot tub.
You Can Re-Use Drained Spa Water
You can reuse your hot tub water as gray water to water your lawn and your flower beds and even wash your car. That’s great and super eco-friendly!
Note: Do let the chemicals dissipate first. You shouldn’t use the water if the chlorine count is higher than 0.1 part per million (ppm) or if the water is too acidic (below a pH of 6.5) or too alkaline (with a pH of 7.8). Turn the system off and let the chlorine dissipate from your spa over a few days. This should bring the chlorine count down to a safe level.
If you have questions about this, please ask!
The FreshWater™ Salt System combined with the usual dedication to energy efficiency you find in all Hot Spring spas makes for the very best eco-friendly hot tubs manufactured.
Hot Spring is dedicated to providing the Absolute Best Hot Tub Ownership Experience® to customers. Stop by one of our two showrooms today to learn more!